30 Years Later
June 26 – July 1, 2016
Monte Verità, Ascona
BOOK OF ABSTRACTS
- It would greatly simplify the administrative procedures if, before coming to Monte Verita, all participants would register (for the second time!) and prepay their bills using a credit card HERE. The amounts to be paid are sent to each participant by email. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- For information how to reach the conference center by public transportation, see http://www.csf.ethz.ch/how-to-
There will be a free shuttle minibus service (11 seats, first come first served basis)from Locarno railway station, from the side of the platforms, to the Centro (Hotel Monte Verita) in every 40 minutes between 1pm and 4:20pm (that is, at 1pm/1:40pm/2:20pm/3:00pm/3:40pm/4:20pm).
- On Sunday, the official check-in time in Hotel Monte Verita starts at 3pm. If you arrive much earlier or late in the evening, please inform the organizers beforehand to try to make special arrangements.
Young Scientist Session on Tuesday
- On Sunday evening from 6 to 7pm, there will be a welcome drink at the Centro.
- On Sunday and Wednesdayevenings, no dinner will be served: a list of nearby restaurants will be included in the conference booklet.
- On Thursday night, there will be a conference dinner, which is free for all participants. Tickets for accompanying persons can be purchased for 35 CHF (less than half of the price) at the conference site.
Ascona is Switzerland’s lowest lying town. It is located at 196 meters above sea level on the northern shore of Lago Maggiore, also called Lake Langen. Ascona is famous for its mild climate, its Old Town and a lake promenade which is dotted with street cafés and boasts a Latin ambience.
The church of San Pietro e Paolo, which is located in Ascona’s old center of town, Borgo, is well worth a visit. The church is a basilica dating back to the 16th century. The interior of the basilica is defined by columns. Its high bell tower is the landmark of the vacation destination of Ascona. The branching lanes of the Old Town lead to the car-free zone of the Lake Promenade with its charming street cafés.
The Monte Verità, the Mountain of Truth, lies above Ascona. People who subscribed to philosophies off the beaten track established a colony here at the beginning of the 20th century. The colony attracted celebrities from all over the world. Today the mountain is a place where the universities of Lucerne and Zurich hold seminars, and a museum showcases the history of the alternative colony and its founders.
Higlights in Ascona
- Borgo Old Town – beautiful Old Town of Ascona around the church of San Pietro e Paolo, an art museum with paintings by artists who spent time living here (Jawlensky, Werefkin, Klee).
- Maggiatal – natural river landscape, broad paths in an unspoilt side valley of Ticino, with nearly 40 mountain lakes and a wealth of fauna and flora.
- Brissago Islands – worth a trip, reached by a peaceful boat ride; thanks to the near-Mediterranean climate, 1500 different species of plants thrive here.
- Centovalli – this enchanting “Valley of a hundred valleys” lies between Domodossola and Locarno, with deep gorges, waterfalls, chestnut woods and picturesque villages, reached by narrow-gauge railway. Rail links to Brig in the Valais, change in Domodossola.
- Ronco sopra Ascona – one of the most delightful places overlooking Lake Maggiore, with an enchanting panorama of the lake and mountains, and a picturesque footpath with over 800 steps leading down to the lakeside.
- JazzAscona – Europe’s largest hot jazz festival. Internationally renowned artists perform live on stages located along the enchanting Ascona lake promenade and link the event directly with the city of New Orleans (every year June-July, http://www.jazzascona.ch/ ).
ETH Zurich collects the conference charges as collection agent for the host EPFL and does not provide own services.